As you maybe aware, there is currently a global ransomware cyber attack.
What is a ransomware attack?
It is a virus that encrypts all the files on your computer and then demands money in order to decrypt them, if you pay, sometimes you get your files back and sometimes you get demands for more money.
Is this related to the “WannaCry” attack that happened to the NHS back in May?
Yes, it is believed to be based on a similar vulnerability in Windows and we thoroughly checked our servers and network back in May to ensure we were fully protected against this vulnerability.
Is my server/site protected?
Yes, we take a number of precautions against such attacks including:
– Seven day rolling backups for disaster recovery purposes
– Limiting “super admin” access to our servers
– Running only trusted programs on servers
– Automated patching of our servers with security updates.
– Using firewalls to only allow access to servers via very specific ports
Is there anything else I should do to protect myself / my business?
We wrote a blog post about this a few months ago which covers this.
If you have any queries or questions, please email email@example.com
We will of course continue to monitor this situation carefully.