Businesses are continually searching for new ways to streamline their operations and optimise their application deployment processes. Kubernetes, a powerful container orchestration platform, has become the go-to solution for managing containerised applications. Its ability to automate deployment, scaling and management of applications makes it ideal for any business currently running applications on multiple virtual machines on servers.
However, the complexity of managing Kubernetes can be daunting, especially for organisations with limited resources or expertise. This is where managed Kubernetes services can provide a convenient and efficient solution. With the help of an experienced team, you can create well-organised clusters and benefit from everything Kubernetes has to offer.
What is Managed Kubernetes?
Managed Kubernetes services are cloud-based solutions that are fully managed on your behalf. This means you don’t have to worry about setting up containers and resources or monitoring and backing up clusters. Instead, a managed Kubernetes provider will handle all of the cloud infrastructure and maintenance tasks, so you won’t require extensive knowledge to make Kubernetes work for your applications. With ongoing support from an experienced provider, you can focus your time and energy on other aspects of your business, and leave the intricacies of the Kubernetes environment to an expert.
Benefits of Using Managed Kubernetes
There are several reasons why you should consider working with a specialist team to deploy and manage applications on Kubernetes. With managed Kubernetes services, you can benefit from things such as;
- Reduced Complexity – Managed Kubernetes services significantly simplify the Kubernetes cluster management process. They eliminate the need for you to understand the intricacies of managing the underlying infrastructure. This, in turn, frees up valuable time and resources, enabling you to concentrate on more important tasks.
- Increased Scalability – Kubernetes is known for its scalability and with managed services, you can take full advantage of this. You can quickly and easily deploy new applications or update and scale existing ones as required. Additional resources can automatically be allocated to meet your current needs and your infrastructure can seamlessly adapt to evolving workloads.
- Improved Security – Security is a top concern for any organisation, especially with the increase in cyber security threats, and managed Kubernetes services prioritise protecting your containerised applications. They provide robust security features such as firewalls, ensuring your applications are shielded from potential threats.
- Reduced Costs – Generally speaking, fully managed Kubernetes services can help reduce your cloud-related expenses. By eliminating the management and maintenance of Kubernetes clusters in-house, you can prevent the need for employees with specialist knowledge and reduce overall operational costs.
Choosing the Right Managed Kubernetes Service
When selecting the right managed Kubernetes service for your organisation, there are several important factors to take into account. By carefully considering the following, you can make an informed decision that aligns with your unique requirements, ensuring a seamless and efficient Kubernetes experience;
- Pricing – Managed Kubernetes services come with diverse pricing structures. It’s crucial to compare and evaluate the pricing plans of different providers to ensure they align with your budgetary constraints and specific requirements. Always be mindful of any potential hidden costs that might impact your overall expenditure.
- Features – Different managed Kubernetes services offer different resources and features. For instance, some packages include tailored vCPU and vRAM, whereas others will be more restricted. Some key features to look out for include automated scaling, dedicated firewalls and staging environments. Prioritise services that meet your technical requirements and application needs.
- Support – The level of support provided by managed Kubernetes services can significantly impact your experience and operational efficiency. Some providers offer round-the-clock, comprehensive support, while others provide more limited assistance. Assess your organisation’s need for support, especially if you anticipate facing complex challenges or requiring quick issue resolution.
- Reputation and Reliability – Research the reputation and reliability of the managed Kubernetes service providers you’re considering. Reading customer reviews and checking uptime statistics can provide peace of mind that you’re making the right choice for your applications. It can be beneficial to get recommendations from industry experts or other businesses if you’re unsure who to trust.
- Security – Depending on your industry and regulatory requirements, you may need specific security measures. Make sure the managed Kubernetes provider offers advanced security features, such as 24/7 security monitoring and automated scanning of cyber threats, to help keep your Kubernetes environment safe.
- Scalability – As your organisation grows, scalability becomes crucial. Ensure the managed Kubernetes service can accommodate your future expansion needs and there are various packages available. Check if a provider can handle increased workloads and whether they offer flexible scaling options to meet your needs.
- Data Backup – Data is a valuable asset to any organisation and having robust backup and recovery procedures in place is essential. Make sure the managed Kubernetes service includes automated data backup to protect your data against unforeseen circumstances and ensure you always have a secure copy.
- Performance Monitoring – Effective performance monitoring tools and optimisation features can help you improve your Kubernetes environment for optimal resource utilisation. Seek a service that provides real-time monitoring and enables you to collect key metrics, helping to enhance performance.
Interested in Managed Kubernetes?
All in all, managed Kubernetes services can be a great way to simplify the process of running Kubernetes and managing your containerised applications. There is no denying that managed services enable busy organisations to harness the power of Kubernetes without getting entangled in its complexities. By outsourcing the management of Kubernetes containers to dedicated and experienced providers, you will have all of the dependencies your applications need to run without any of the hassle.
When you’re considering using managed Kubernetes, be sure to compare the different services available and choose the right solution that aligns perfectly with your organisation’s goals and objectives. In an era where efficiency and convenience are paramount, Kubernetes is an alternative to multiple virtual machines that’s worth exploring.
If you would like to find out more about Kubernetes, contact our team at catalyst2 today. We will happily answer any questions you have and discuss managed services with you in more detail.